About the program
It includes alternative therapies that treats skeletal muscle immobility and alleviates pain by relaxing contracted muscles, improving blood and lymphatic circulation and stimulating the stretch reflex in muscle.
Sports Myofascial Release (SMR) is a safe and very effective hands-on technique that involves applying gentle sustained pressure into the Myofascial connective tissue restrictions to eliminate pain and restore mobility. A low load (gentle pressure) applied slowly that allows a fascia to elongate.
It’s a physical therapy often used to treat chronic pain disorder caused by sensitivity, shortening and tightness in myo myofascial tissue.
- Muscle relaxation: SMR helps reduce and eliminate stored tension in muscles, which aids in alleviating aches and pains.
- Decreased overall effects of stress on the human movement system.
- Suppression or reduction of trigger point sensitivity and pain: SMR promotes the release of endorphins to help reduce pain.
- Reduced soreness and improved tissue recovery: SMR increases circulation, allowing oxygen and other nutrients to reach the muscles and other soft tissues.
- Decreased neuromuscular hypertonicity.
- Regulation of the production of compounds called cytokines, which play a role in decreasing inflammation.
- Improved joint range of motion, which helps restore optimal length-tension relationships: SMR helps prepare joints for increased range of motion and loads that accompany stretching, strengthening and other dynamic movement exercises.
- Reduced adhesions and scar tissue that improves the elasticity of muscles and other soft tissues, to improve movement and reduce pain.
- Increased activity in the mitochondria of cells, helping promote repair and growth of muscle tissue.
- Improved neuromuscular efficiency.